Crime is on the rise. Make every effort to protect yourself, your home and your loved ones.
- Lighting is the single greatest deterrent for burglary! Leave your porch lights on dusk to dawn. Consider dusk to dawn lights or timers.
- If you have an alarm system USE IT!
- Auto safety
o Never leave valuable visible within a car.
o Be certain to keep car doors locked.
o NEVER keep spare house keys in your car.
o Be sure to check that your registration is there. When valet parking use the valet key and keep the glove compartment with valuable papers locked. A recent ring of car thieves worked from stolen registrations and dealer provided keys.
- Be prepared. Before exiting your car be certain to have keys in your hand. Also remember to call Metro Security to meet you at 835-5421. (Do you have the number programmed into your cell phone?)
- Get to know your neighbors. No number of security guards or police officers can replace neighbors watching out for neighbors. Walk your block with your cell phone in hand. Record the phone numbers of your neighbors and make sure they have yours.
- Never leave a hide-a-key! Thieves know to search under flower pots, rocks and on door ledges. Give a spare key to a trusted neighbor.
- Don’t post your family name on your mailbox or use it on your answering machine. It gives burglars an opportunity to get your phone number and call to check if you are home.
- Beware of strangers soliciting donations door to door and do not open the door. Con-artists are on the rise at this time of year. Panhandling is also illegal in Orleans parish and door to door panhandlers should be reported to Metro Security or NOPD immediately.
- Serial numbers matter! Make a log of the serial numbers from your electronics and tools. It is also advised to take digital photos of your contents within each room quarterly for your own records.
- Always check the credentials of workmen outside of your neighbors’ homes. Call your neighbor to confirm he is supposed to be there.
- Touro Bouligny Tips:
- Traveling? Here is your check list:
- Inform Metro Security
- Stop mail delivery
- Stop newspaper delivery
- Inform neighbors. Ask them to remove flyers placed on your house.
- Set a lighting timer inside of your home to maintain the appearance of you being there.
- Days Out Enjoying Festivities…if coming in late after socialable events be sure to call Metro Security to meet you at 835-5421. (Do you have the number programmed into your cell phone?)
- Preparing For Your Outing:
- Do not openly pack the vehicle as if you are leaving for extended periods of time. It is an open invitation for theft.
- Burglars often seek out the window left open of extension cords during vacations and family outings. It becomes an easy entrance.
- In the unfortunate event of a hold up…hand over your belongings immediately and then call 911 as soon as you are able. Do not chase or confront your attackers as he could have a weapon. Try to note clothing, height and description for the authorities.
- Remember…if you see ANYTHING unusual call Metro Security 835-7662 or the NOPD. It is better to be wrong then to allow a crime in our neighborhood.